Saturday, March 29, 2008

"But you hate the Internet."


When people find out that I have started a blog and if they really know me they will say "but you hate the Internet." The fact is I do not hate the Internet, I hate incorrect pro wrestling Internet Reporting.

Growing up I looked up to many of the people I watched on television news. We had Walter Cronkite, Peter Jennings, David Brinkley, Barbra Walters, locally Jerry Dunphy and the like. To me all of these people embodied professionalism and the presentation of their stories were top notch and well planned and researched. I knew from an early age that what these people were saying was serious. I can remember my whole family sitting in our living room watching the news together and my Grandfather especially would be watching very close. You would have thought he was watching the Super Bowl or naked people.

Today, television is a very different place, as is society. I've noticed that us Humans have become very cynical with everyday situations (I too am at fault here, but I try) and modern broadcasters or reporters use that tone in their reports. This holds especially true with pro wrestling journalism (if you can call it that).

Now, I do have to give credit to folks at pwinsider.com, wrestlingtorch.com and some of the smaller sites because they have contacted me to verify a source. To me that adds tons of credibility and respect. I know that the behind the scenes world or pro wrestling has changed and I think I have evolved with it, but for some reason the majority of pro wrestling reporting has not. I am very aware that this business is sensational and tabloid to a degree, but the "news" that a fan might have access to is in my opinion tainted and very much kayfabe in a different way.

Once while with Disney the suits wanted us to look out for "Internet Disney Reporters" because they were evil. Since I was already in the wrestling business I already knew how to handle myself when around an "average person" asking questions, but to be honest with you, these very enthusiastic fans (Disney or wrestling) are the very reason pro wrestling is still around and they are a necessary evil to todays promoters and talent. I just wish that the majority or contributors and stringers would look past their nose and "wrestling logic" and report the news. Is that too much to ask for?

So, I do love the Internet (and getting way more comfortable with pro wrestling sites). There is a lot of knowledge there for you to feed on, but there is also a lot of false. To any reporter out there seeing information on the NWA I'm easy to find.

david_marquez@nwawrestling.com

No comments: