Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Man who Rules the Woooooorrrllddd....







About three weeks ago we realized that we needed a major person to join our company either in front of the camera or behind the scenes in an office position. This person had to be someone that could turn heads and grab some attention because as of late (my opinion) our promotion has been sitting kind of still, no movement in either direction.

So, what is a promoter/producer to do? I know go find a talent that would help achieve our goals. Now, in my business the true "King" of the box office is Hulk Hogan (and he know it), but his asking price is way out of our league. TNA has many top stars that would work at our arena events, but they don't need a guy like me any longer so that is out of the question. Then, I start to dig through old contact sheets and phone books looking for a name (or names) that may work. I noticed several guys who would be perfect for that role, but sadly they are no longer alive. The search continued and I went on to do other tasks (like watching Crockett stuff on YouTube) and that's where I found my answer.

In the YouTube search for WTBS, NWA, WCW, Crockett a clip of Sid Vicious, the one where he's getting injured on television, the one they played back so many times, well I watched and watched and then reacted.

Rick Otazu (Ricky O) is my business partner on the East Coast and provides commentary on the NWA Wrestling Showcase program. He is very dedicated to our cause and I knew he kept tabs on pretty much everyone. My call to was pretty specific:

"Hey? Do you think there would be any interest in Sid?" and his answer was much more explicid than "Yes!"

We went through the routine, blue sky booking and then Ricky said he had his number, well it turns out to be a bad one, but Ricky every the go getter found a good one and mid-day sometime 10 days ago Sid Vicious and I were talking and striking a deal for him to compete with the NWA. This is the type of talent that I need to continue building the NWA brand and seeking new interest from industry.

Sid agreed to the terms and then we set out to tell the world that the biggest free agent in pro wrestling found a home and that his comeback would be the greatest comeback in all of sports and entertainment! Quick back story on the injury. During a match against Scott Steiner in 2001, Sid suffered a leg fracture. The reason is that he landed his 300 pound + frame on one foot while kicking with the other. He broke his left leg in half, snapping both the fibula
and tibia, with at least one of the bones breaking through the skin. A 17" rod was placed in his leg and Sid walked with a cane for some time after thinking to himself that his wrestling days were numbered. Until now. 7 years later, Sid is ready to get back to the business he loves. The way he sees things is that his injury was a "blessing". It allowed him to preserve himself and he tells me that he is 100% and is ready to take names! My thought through out all of this was:

"MAN! HOW CAN THIS MAN EVEN WALK TODAY!"

I'm happy that we have the international platform to allow Sid his comeback. I know that he has his goals set to return to the WWE and I'm sure that will happen in the future, but for the mean time Sid will appear exclusively on NWA television until the end of 2008 and hopefully beyond. His first date with us April 18 in Lincoln, RI (www.twinriver.com) and the following night in Wildwood, NJ at the Arena. Tickets are on sale now through the venues box office and ticketmaster. Come on out and show Sid you did not forget about him. Even the WWE thought it was news:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/industrynews/6740456

The photo above is courtesy Pro Wrestling Illustrated magazine and screen grabs from my World Legion Wrestling TV show from Missouri.




No comments: