Saturday, March 29, 2008

Gordon Solie




This Sunday the WWE will induct NWA Legend and Hall of Famer Gordon Solie into it's Hall of Fame during their WrestleMania weekend in Orlando, FL. Since Tuesday's announcement that Solie is being inducted I have been asked my opinion on what he might have thought about the honor. For those of you not in the know, I worked with him in late 1997 and all of 1998 at World Legion Wrestling, a promotion I started in Springfield, MO (eventually Harley Race, Karl Lauer and Solie came on as co-owners and the Race Family still runs it as World League Wrestling). When blue skying the concept of running cards and the possibility of producing television I daydreamed about my "All Madden" (Note: Marquez uses football term, maybe history making event) team and Race and Solie were on that list.

I remember freezing my butt off in November 1997 at our Walnut St. office located in the Vandervort Building downtown. I'm sure I was there, tipsy as ever (in those days a night didn't go by without getting totally waisted on hard booze) talking all of this over with business partner's Chris Hansen and Greg Young. I can remember Greg playing with the name "New Legion Wrestling" while Chris was helping me book our future. Well, when we got to Solie's name on the list, we both looked at each other and said:

"You think he's still alive?"

Days later I contacted Karl Lauer, a wrestling friend from Southern California and Vice Chairman of the Cauliflower Alley Club and inquired about Solie's whereabouts and Lauer told me that he is fine and well, still living in Florida. I asked for a number and I got it. When I first called him, I got a machine and yes it sure was Solie's voice. I had heard him enough on television to know what

Some time passes and the annual Cauliflower Alley Reunion was here and Lauer tells me that Solie did indeed RSVP to attend. Our first show was all planned out and I was going to be able to meet face to face with him.

Hansen and I landed in Philly and drove to Cherry Hill and check in. The first person I see is Fred Blassie (mark out moment for me) and then in the distance was Solie and guess who he was talking to? Give up? Harley Race! I thought I had hit the jackpot, I would be able to hit two birds with one stone. So we go to the room, shower and change. I have always been one to "dress" for occasions and well let's just say I felt a bit over dressed for day one of the Reunion (although I must say looking back I was not the only sore thumb, I believe that Bob Trobich, Howard Brody, Dennis Carluzzo and maybe Danny Hodge were "dressed" too) but I think because of my approach and attire, I got close to Solie.

I introduced myself to him and he said he remembered my name from the phone messages. I apologized for bothering him during his difficult time and had I known I would have let up. He told me not to worry and thanked me for the acknowledgment. At that moment, he lit a cigarette, something I would watch him do many, many more times. He then figured out a way to get rid of me, he introduced me to Lou Thesz and tell him about what I was planning to do. So, I started my spiel and Thesz looked at me like I had 9 heads! I can remember the Champ saying:

"Why do you want to do that? Do you know how many people try this and fail? You might want to think of something else to do with your life and money."

Then he invited me to sit at the bar with him, Hodge, Abby the Butcher and maybe Dan Severn. Anyhow I was the odd man out and Solie had quietly slipped away.

The next morning I dressed down a bit, probably just loosing the tie trying to look a bit more casual and I spotted Solie in the lobby talking with Killer Kowalski. Solie asked me to sit and he started to talk to me about television production. He was drinking (again something I saw and participated with him many, many times) Vodka and handed my his napkin and a pen and asked me to draw out the way I seen the camera layout. So I started drawing this plan out and Solie commented on my penmanship and control of the pen. Boy did I smile, ya see I wanted to be a Disney Animator early on and for years I sat and drew every character I could memorize, so that really meant something to me. What I didn't know is that he was a bit of an artist too! After I finished my drawing he seemed pleased and said that he would consider coming on board as announcer and he told me his fee and that he would only fly Delta. Now, if you have not noticed I have not once mentioned that I offered him the job of announcer. I did introduce myself and I did tell him what I intended on doing with World Legion, but I never ever told him I wanted him to be the voice of the program. I guess one would think that seeing I called him so damn much, I also thought that he talked to Lauer too and he knew everything. The night ended and we went our own ways, this time though with a handshake and his room number.

The next morning seemed to be a big day. There was a lot of people and this is where I got to talk with Harley Race and invite him to be apart of the team too. I wanted Race to come on in a creative role and I understood his popularity in Missouri. I can recall I stopped him in mid flight going back to a table with three beer's in his hand. I could tell that he wanted no part of the conversation and I told him what I was thinking. His reaction was close to Thesz, but more cheerful and he asked who I was thinking about for the announcing and I told him I was not sure really and before I could tell him that I spoke with Solie, he pointed him out in the room and said:

"You could count me in if you can convince that man over there to be in it too."

With that he walked away and I was standing in the middle of a full convention floor thinking, "man...what just happened?" I knew Solie was in already and maybe 10 minutes later, I interrupted his beer (he was holding court with Charlie Thesz, his wife BJ, Dory Funk and I want to say Jim Cornette) and said:

"Mr. Race. Mr. Solie is in, our first show is November...."

He was shocked, I was pleased and well the rest is history. I spent many night learning from him and listening to him like he was a priest. But getting back to the WWE Hall of Fame and what I think what Solie would have said. I think he would have been proud to be honored by his peers, especially after all the years that had passed. I do know he was very vocal about Vince McMahon. I don't remember his killing him, just not being happy with him for whatever reason. I'm sure it stems back to WTBS and the WWF taking over his shows time slot. I do know he was invited to stay on, but (boy I hope I get this right) I think he quit or declined the offer because the WWF wanted him to introduce McMahon on TV and "put him over." I also believe there was something about a tuxedo too.

I do believe that he would have been happy to attend and catch up with old friend. I know I am happy to know that this generation of Sports Entertainment fans will get the chance to hear about him. I don't know if any of them will care or seek out info on him, but I'm glad that Solie will be in the publics eye one more time.

I'm going to try and post some photos and screen captures from the WLW days. I'm not sure I know how to do that, but I'll try and if I mess it up I will try again once someone shows me how. Also, there is also a Gordon Solie webite out there now at www.gordonsolie.com and if you have not ready his book please do so. It's great and I hear Bob and Pam are working on a second one.


No comments: