Sunday, May 11, 2008

YO MA!



Seeing that today is Mother's Day in these United States (of America) I figured that this would be a good subject to blog about. Although I have many MOTHER'S in my life (you'll get that later; I hope) I want to write about two women that are very special to me, they are my actual Mom and her Mom.

My Mom's name is Dorothy. I never asked why she was named that, I always thought that was a very old sounding name and never matched her personality, you see my Mom is kinda crazy (in a good way) and I guess to figure her out we have to go to her Mother, Awilda (who is crazier and I did ask her once where her name came from and she told me her Mom...SEE!) and analyze.

Both of them have been a big part of my life and not just in the "Mom" way. At times they have not been supportive at all! They are very (VERY) opinionated and LOUD (their both full blooded Puerto Rican)

People who know me know that I'm pretty fun to be around and I want to say I get that from these two. I can remember at the earliest of my days, my Mom dancing around the house to Disco or Motown or Salsa, I can't remember a time back then when I wasn't watching American Bandstand with her and us goofing off. I also remember her taking me and my Sister to a Roller Rink not that far from our house in La Puente, I still enjoy roller skating, although I wasn't that good at it; she was. My Mom had me young, she was still in H.S. and I guess that is why we did simple youth type things for entertainment (not to mention that we were dirt poor and that type of stuff was cheap!)

Then there's GRANDMA, she's a hoot! I don't think I've been on so many adventures with anyone else. She has been the only constant in my life. I can't remember a time when she wasn't there or if I was away not on the phone with me if only for a few minutes. She was born in Puerto Rico in the '30s and moved to New York very young. She was a member of the "Pink Latinettes" (a girls gang) and her nick name was "Cheena" (cause of her slated/Asian type eyes). She is your stereotypical "Puerto Rican," I remember a few years back I questioned her on the validity of the gang, and she came out of her room like she was Wonder Woman wearing a pink satin jacket with the word "Cheena" on the front. She still dyes her her hair a type of blond and like my Mom is very youthful herself. There are times she breaks into song and dances around and then there are times when she'll do something absolutely insane (but that's for another time).

Both of these ladies have been through hell! Some of it was self inflected, but most unwarranted. I really feel for them, I was around for most of it.

But these two really follow "every cloud has a silver lining..." and to a degree I do too. Anyhow, thanks for reading about my crazy ass MOM'S! I know I will write more about them soon...there's a lof of material there ;) Happy Mothers Day!

No comments: